Friday, February 19, 2010

God Bless America

Well, my computer has crashed so my blogging has been put on hold for a while. Then I figured out that maybe I could do it using Jared's laptop. The only problem is that I cannot get the pictures from my camera into this blog. I have tried everything. So this blog is minus some pictures but maybe I can post them later.

Every February we have a February dinner in honor of all that happens this month. We have a special menu which is as follows:

Heart Salad
Love Potion
Groundhog loaf (Meatloaf)
Delaware Potato Boats (in honor of George Washington's birthday)
Lincoln pennies (carrot slices in honor of Lincoln's birthday)
Brick oven rolls (remembering the log cabin that Lincoln lived in)
Cherry Cheesecake (in honor of Washington's honesty)
Banana Cream Pie (in honor of our freedom to choose to not like Cherry Cheesecake)

I also made a fun little wreath for the door with odds and ends I found in my craft room. This time we invited a woman from David's work, Ann Marie. She even got to sign our special table cloth. I try to have anybody who comes for dinner sign it with a washable pen and then I embroider their signature into it.

Anyway, she returned recently from a trip to Afghanistan where she worked with women who are in prison. We thought it would be good for the kids to learn a little bit about that part of the world, especially since Uncle Micah is now over there. She showed us a lot of pictures and told us what things are like over there.

The legal system in Afghanistan doesn't really work in favor of the women. A woman can be convicted if any man accuses her of a crime regardless of whether there is any evidence or not. A man, on the other hand, can only be convicted of a crime if there are at least 4 witnesses who testify against him.

Generally the women who go to prison take their children with them because there is nobody else to care for them. So she showed pictures of the prisons full of little children. Some of the women are in there for really strange things.... one woman is in prison because her father stole something and they weren't able to find him so she was sent to prison in his place. One woman's husband committed suicide so she was sent to prison for not stopping him. One woman was in because she was convicted of kidnapping. She has no idea who she was supposed to have even kidnapped.

I asked Ann Marie what she was doing to help. Could they change the legal system? She said not really so they are working on training the women and then assisting them once they get out of prison because they are shunned from their homes and villages if they have been in prison. It's very difficult to survive on their own in that type of society so Ann Marie was there with another lady who is trying to help them survive once they are out.

I also asked her if the people there like the Americans. She said that all the educated people love America and are so glad we are there but the uneducated are superstitious and don't like the Americans. In fact, she said that one village received all sorts of clothing and medical supplies from a charity in America and the head guy told everyone in the village that it was evil and would kill them so they burned it all up. Yet, in some areas, they truly welcome American aid. It was fascinating. The kids seemed quite amazed that it was such a different place as far as freedom goes. It's hard to imagine that every place isn't like here. God Bless America!!!

4 comments:

Toria said...

What the?!?! Gaylene- Anne Marie was my roommate and she stayed with me here on her way home from Afghanistan! Such a small world (unless of course we're talking about a different Anne Marie who lives in Utah and went to Afghanistan).
She also was my roommate when we lived next door to "Uncle Micah"
We love Anne Marie! I'm glad you blogged about this.I never did finish catching up my blog with details of her visit

http://clason.blogspot.com/2009/10/pit-stop.html

this world is so small.
Now I'm wondering with all the Phillipinos living in our current ward and neighborhood- who is gonna have a connection with Jared. I'm just waiting...

oh and I LOVE your tablecloth idea- I've heard it before and forgot about it- but now that my memory is refreshed, I may have to copy.

Anne Marie said...

Hey T--it is me. So, how do you and Gaylene know each other? I work with her husband, David. And I didn't connect the Micah dot. Is that Micah Bahr??

Gaylene said...

It is a small world and yes, that is Micah Bahr. Sorry I spelled your name wrong Anne Marie. I left the "e" off the Ann. Thanks again for coming to our home and sharing your experiences.

The Larson's said...

Oh my goodness, what stories your friend had from her travels to Afghanistan. It's so important to be reminded of how blessed we are in our country, and how precious our many freedoms are!
Thank you, too, for posting your "February dinner" idea. We'd love to see your groundhog meatloaf when your camera thing is working! What do you use for Love Potion?
It's so fun to keep up with you...