Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Now Work for the Draper Police Department

That sounds pretty cool, right?  I do work for the Draper Police Department but only as a substitute crossing guard.  So, like a few times a week for about 45 minutes each time.  The lady that coordinates all the guards happens to live in my ward and they were in desperate need of a few subs, so I applied and got the job.  Phew!  They asked me what I thought made me qualified for the job (I was being interviewed by a panel of 3 people including a police sergeant and the city HR coordinator).  I really didn't think they were going to ask me something like that so it caught me a little off guard.   I said, "Well, I've raised 6 kids, I've volunteered a lot at the school so I know how to work with kids and I like kids, and.... I know how to cross a street."  Oh brother.  Everyone chuckled and I think they thought I was being a smart alec.  I really couldn't think of anything to say though.  Later I remembered that I actually was a crossing guard in 6th grade so I do have experience and could've said that.  Anyway, they hired me and I passed the drug test and the background check so I am officially an employee of the Draper police department.  We are a dual income family.  LOL  Oh, and I get to wear a cool uniform and I got a special rain coat for when it rains.  I feel very official.

My first day on the job was last Thursday.  They called me at 3:15 to be at the cross walk at 3:25.  No problem since it is 2 minutes away.  Adam went with me and took my picture.  All the kids were so cute and just about every single one said "thank you".   I think I'm going to like this job.  :-)


No comments: