Sunday, November 2, 2008

Reward for 100 Points Earned

We took the kids to Boondocks Fun Center here in Draper because they earned 100 points. This is a system I started one Spring break when the kids were driving me crazy. I told them that I would give out points for good deeds and take away points for not-so-good behavior. If they got to 20 points by the end of the week, I would take them to Sky High (a huge trampoline place). Life changed immediately. The kids were so helpful to me and each other. No arguing, bickering, complaining (OK, maybe a little but when I took away points they stopped rather quickly). Even Adam gets into it and is really good.


The rules: Only mom can give and take away points. It is a group effort with a group total of points (i.e. if Adam throws a tantrum, the whole group loses a point). They can't ask for points (sometimes they point out that they did something very nice... then sometimes I give points and sometimes I don't). Mom chooses the total points needed for a reward. Expensive things take a lot more points which take a lot more time to accumulate. It is a wonderful system. The kids needed 100 points to go to Boondocks and it took about 2 months to get there.


We had fun earning the points and we had a great time being rewarded.


Click to play
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

3 comments:

Kathi said...

"The kids were so helpful to me and each other. No arguing, bickering, complaining (OK, maybe a little but when I took away points they stopped rather quickly)."

That sounds BEAUTIFUL!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

That is a beautifully-well put together-thought out-genius-light bulb on the head IDEA!!!!

Tonight I will discuss it with Ryan at FHE.

Lyndsey said...

I will have to try and do it with my kids too - I can only imagine such bliss. Loved your pictures from Boondocks - such a fun place.