Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kennecott Copper Mine

For those of you who live in Utah or have visited the Salt Lake area, I'm sure you have seen the big mounds of dirt on the west side of the valley. That is the Kennecott Copper Mine and I have always (since I was little) been curious about it. So I dragged all my kids with me yesterday to go investigate. It was fascinating. Since Adam is not too keen on reading everything in the visitors center, I plan to go back without any kids some time to read everything there. I definitely recommend it though for the whole family. All the kids liked seeing it and seeing how it goes from plain old dirt to 99.9% copper, not to mention the gold and silver they get out too.

Photobucket

The big tire that the kids are standing by goes on one of those trucks in the other picture. The truck is as big as a 2-story house. The pit probably doesn't look that deep but it is 3/4 of a mile deep and they said you could stack 2 Sears towers on top of each other and still not get to the top of the hole from the bottom. It is massive.

No comments: