Thursday, January 7, 2010

This is the Vice Principal Speaking

When the man on the phone said that to me, my stomach got a little knot in it. He said, "Hi Mrs. Powell. This is so-and-so, the vice principal at Crescent View Middle School. I have Tanner here in my office with me."

So at this point I know I'm either going to get chewed out for taking Tanner out of school for 3 days to go to Hawaii and I didn't inform the school or else Tanner is in big trouble for something else he's done. I paused and said, "OK."

He said, "He just came from his class with a Gold Award...... that's a good thing!"

Whew. I said, "Oh good, for a minute I thought Tanner was in big trouble."

It turned out that they were having a good laugh pretending that he WAS in trouble. Actually it was an award that his teacher gave him for doing an outstanding job in his class and going above and beyond the call of duty. He got a candy bar and a soda plus his name goes in a drawing for a big prize at the end of the year.

Tanner, I'm proud of you! And I better only get those kind of phone calls from school :)

1 comment:

Jon Conradt said...

Heidi got one of these phone calls when we lived in Omaha. The principal explained that Cameron had hit another kid in the stomach. She said, "Let me talk to him." and then chewed him out.

"He just didn't sound like himself." she commented.

When the principal got back on the phone Heidi informed her that she would be right there. We lived 3 minutes away and so it must have seemed like a blink of an eye until she stormed into the office.

"Where is he?" she demanded.

The principal indicated that he was behind her (she had stormed right past him.) She whirled around with both metaphorical guns drawn and taking a deep breath said, "Hey, that's not MY Cameron."

The school had called the wrong parents.

When she told me the story I said that I was dubious from the beginning. Cameron has a black belt. I said, "If Cameron had wanted to hurt someone one he would have laid him flat and not just hit him in the stomach."

Jon