Friday, February 6, 2009

Volunteer at the Draper Temple

So last night I was an usher near the baptismal font in the Draper Temple for the open house.  I was there from about 5 pm to 10 pm.  I stood in the same spot and smiled a lot, answered a couple of questions, and directed people where to go.  It sounds simple enough (which it was) but I was so, so tired by the time I got home.  WOW!

It was wonderful though.  They estimated about 1000 people came through per hour and it did seem like thousands.  I started trying to see how many people I could get to smile.  The kids were easy.  They smile readily.  Adults were a different story.  There are 3 categories I decided... those that smile readily, those that shyly smile as if they might be embarrassed (the majority), and those who look at you like you are wierd.  Luckily not too many in that last category.  

The little kids were all so cute.  So reverent and in awe of this beautiful place that is the Lord's House.  So many people... all different sizes, shapes, and colors and all God's children coming to see His House.  I love the temple!

1 comment:

Holli said...

We helped out at the Sacramento Temple Open House in 2006. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and it was 100+ degrees outside. I was outside for awhile til they took pity on me and gave me a sweet spot inside between the endowment room and sealing rooms. It was so beautiful and so neat to see people coming through and the experiences they were having. What an awesome experience.

Funny observations about the smiling. It's so true!